Changes in editor (version 5.20.00)

Home Forum Main Forum General Changes in editor (version 5.20.00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  marke 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

marke
    Participant

With the latest version there are changes to the editor. I am part of the European support site, and am now getting questions where indexes no longer work.
    – Some have really old files (2 Topic – from the days before other own material could be created). The standard index e.g.
    A-00003
    B-00006 etc.
    no longer works as this is now seen as a Strong reference number.
    – Another used the following text \\& 15812\\ as an index to a page, but (I assume with the latest change to page breaks) this no longer works.

Is there any information how these indexes should now be built? Is it really necessary to always mention the title (e.g. \\Notes 15812\\)?
    Any help on this would be appreciated, as well as a full list of all codes which are used text control purposes. The documentation is not complete.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  marke.
    Ken Martin
    Ken Martin
    Keymaster

If you are editing the file using a text editor open T00000. The index is at the top.
    Format –

00000 <2015/02/04 09:46>
    $Index
    00000 THE PRIMITIVE PREACHER
    00001 ADDRESS TO PRIMITIVE BAPTISTS
    00002 CHRIST, AND HIM CRUCIFIED
    00003 THE RESURRECTION
    00004 THE SECOND BIRTH
    00005 A NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST (PART 1)
    00006 NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST (PART 2)
    00007 LIVING FAITH
    00008 FORGIVENESS OF SINS (PART 1)
    00009 FORGIVENESS OF SINS (PART 2)
    00010 ABIDING AND WALKING WITH CHRIST

The start of a topic should be –

00002 <2015/02/07 11:23>
    CHRIST, AND HIM CRUCIFIED

If editing the index directly open the topic number 0 and click on the edit button in the lower left.
    Format –

$Index
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-0” THE PRIMITIVE PREACHER
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-1” ADDRESS TO PRIMITIVE BAPTISTS
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-2” CHRIST, AND HIM CRUCIFIED
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-3” THE RESURRECTION
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-4” THE SECOND BIRTH
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-5” A NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST (PART 1)
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-6” NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST (PART 2)
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-7” LIVING FAITH
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-8” FORGIVENESS OF SINS (PART 1)
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-9” FORGIVENESS OF SINS (PART 2)
    “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher-10” ABIDING AND WALKING WITH CHRIST

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Ken Martin Ken Martin.

marke
    Participant

Thanks. Is this for titles to be compiled, or for other titles as well?

Ken Martin
    Ken Martin
    Keymaster

The index works for books and dictionaries only. Commentaries are indexed by verses.

When you compile a topic the program creates a new module with the underscore missing. You cannot edit the index in a compiled module. If you have to make changes work on the uncompiled module with the underscore and then re-compile. In my previous post the module named “_Thompson_PrimitivePreacher” is not compiled. After you compile you will get a compiled module named “Thompson_PrimitivePreacher”.

marke
    Participant

I now realise that I was not clear describing the issue. Sorry. I am aware of how to make titles and include an index at the front.
    In Europe there are several users who have used the Online Bible for decades, also before there was the possibility to compile modules. The ‘standard’ was to create a title “2Topics” as a “book” (so not linked to Bible references). Within that title they use the hyperlink options to create a subject index (not chapter index). So for instance with two columns (one comments, one book references:
    Book references Studies / notes
    Faith 00196 12875
    Forgiveness 01597 28265
    Gentile 01785 20746
    These subject indexes are hundreds of subjects, with often a different “page” per letter of the alphabet.

The problem is now that these hyperlinks no longer work. The shorter ones go to a Strong number and the longer ones no longer link.
    We found a solution to change this to:
    Book references Studies / notes
    Faith \\see 00196\\ \\see 12875\\
    Forgiveness \\see 01597\\ \\see 28265\\
    Gentile \\see 01785\\ \\see 20746\\

By including the word “see” it works, without that word it does not. Obviously quite a bit of work to change everything (I know we can use a text editor such as Notepad++). This was changed somewhere in the last two years. I cannot find any documentation.

Hope the issue is clearer now.

My second point was that I can find no documentation on the possibilities to include test between the following two symbols (as examples):
    \$ ….. \$ for bold text
    \% ….. \% for italics
    \= ….. \+ to break up lines
    and there are quite a few more. I was trying to find where I can find which symbols are used, and which words (such as the word “see” in the example above) have a special function.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  marke.

marke
    Participant

I now realise my original request was not clear – apologies. The issue is about creating a subject index (not chapter index) using hyperlinks. These were set up using the ‘standard’ as defined decades ago, before the option to create own titles. There was only a standard 2topics.
    Users created a title as a book (so not linked to scripture references, with a long subject index: For example – in the normal editor aligned by using spaces (the example here looks messy because the forum software removes extra spaces) two lists of hyperlinks, one for book references, one for own notes:
    ———– Book references ———- Notes / Studies
    Faith ….. 00296 ……………… 15986
    Forgiveness 01582 ……………… 24731
    Gentile…. 00824 ……………… 18452
    This no longer works (changed within the last two years). In the past it was assumed the hyperlinks were in the same title. Now the shorter numbers are seen as a Strong number and the longer ones just don’t work. We did find the following solution that works:
    ———– Book references ———- Notes / Studies
    Faith ….. \\see 00296\\ ……………… \\see 15986\\
    Forgiveness \\see 01582\\ ……………… \\see 24731\\
    Gentile…. \\see 00824\\ ……………… \\see 18452\\

It is a lot of work to change everything. The word “see” makes a big difference. Hope this makes it clearer. Can find no documentation, also about the change.

Then the second point. We know that there are a number of symbols with functions. Text can be inserted between symbols to achieve an effect:
    \$ ….. \$ for bold
    \@ ….. \@ for italics
    \= ….. \+ to break up text
    and there are quite a few more. The start and end can be split across a large amount of text, multiple lines.
    My question: Is there any documentation on these symbols or any documentation on “special words”, such as “see” in the example above?

Ken Martin
    Ken Martin
    Keymaster

The information is documented in the helps. Open the help file (help – Table of Contents). Click on the index tab and type in “editor”. All the items listed under “Editor” will have the information you are looking for.

marke
    Participant

Thanks. I am beginning to understand where the problem is.
    As I have installed the OLB in Dutch, I get the Dutch help file. I am given a choice between the helpfile in the tool or a web version. If I use the helpfile in the tool I can find the Editor, but that is very short with the comment “This function belongs to the developer tools. No technical support is offered for this function”. The pdf distributed with the software describes the Millenium Edition. If I go to the web version (also in Dutch) it has a bit more, but is outdated.
    Any suggestions how I can get a copy of (or reach a web-site with) the English documentation?

Ken Martin
    Ken Martin
    Keymaster

The link for the English help file is –
    http://onlinebible.net/help/helpeng/index.htm

Search for the editor under the “Index” tab.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Ken Martin Ken Martin.

marke
    Participant

Thank you!! Just what I needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.