× Program and Web Site Suggestion Box.

Topic-icon Wilhelm Gesenius, Brown–Driver–Briggs or BDB

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 1 month ago #1358 by †dajer™†
0430 אלהים ‘elohiym el-o-heem’
plural of 0433; n m p; [BDB-43a] {See TWOT on 93 @@ "93c"}
A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament, more commonly known as Brown–Driver–Briggs or BDB (from the name of its three authors) is a standard reference for Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic, first published in 1906. It is organized by (Hebrew) alphabetical order of three letter roots. It was based on the Hebrew-German lexicon of Wilhelm Gesenius.
Recently I discovered that if I do the mouse over and hover over a Strong's number in the Old Testament there is a notation for the BDB Hebrew Lexicon. This link ( ia802606.us.archive.org/17/items/ahebrew...dengli00briggoog.pdf ) has a PDF file that is a facsimile of that lexicon and as you explore it you will have to develope you own method to navigate to the BDB page and column in question.
David In Omaha.

†dajer™†
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by †dajer™†. Reason: bold not working

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #1364 by wolbi
David,
do you have a good method to navigate or is the best method trial and error?
wulf

More
1 year 1 month ago #1365 by †dajer™†
Mostly it is trial and error, even at best it depends on the E-Book or E-Text edition you have downloaded.
Using the latest Adobe Reader there is a search field for page numbers. I do not remember where I downloaded it from but I have an edition; as indicated from the example below: "BDB-43a", type in the 43, press the enter key and it should snap to the page we want; for the Hebrew word we are looking for.
Other editions that I discovered From Google Books and Internet Archive, the reader starts numbering from the cover as page one. I say cover page for the reader includes Google's copyright and disclaimer as page one.
Including the title page and all of the introduction pages they are labeled with lowercase Roman Numerals, i = 1, v = 5, x = 10, etc, these are found at the bottom or top of these pages.
An edition from Google that I downloaded years ago has 29 of these pages which includes the cover and the disclaimer.
As indicated from the example below: "BDB-43a" adding the 29 and the 43 we get 72, so in theory,
I enter 72 in the page number field, press the enter key and it should snap to the page we want.
Clear as Mudd, I dare say.

†dajer™†

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1447 by †dajer™†
Attempting to keep this thread active and current on Forum page one(1).

†dajer™†

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #1464 by †dajer™†
This is a feeble effort keep this thread available under the Recent Topics link...

†dajer™†